Ever wonder how we clean our yoga mats? We keep our mats fresh and sanitary with our own solution of natural ingredients that both disinfect and deodorize.
Here's a list of what we use and why we use it:
- Filtered Water: Avoid Chlorine odors and heavy metals with using filtered water
- Thayers Certified Organic Witch Hazel: This natural astringent removes stains and sanitizes
- 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil: Derived from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia in Australia, this potent essential oil is a powerful antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic
- 100% Pure Lavender Oil: While lesser known for it's antimicrobial properties, this aromatic essential oil disinfects while giving off a soothing fragrance
- Refillable Glass Spray Bottle (Lead & BPA Free): When mixing essential oils, use glass containers in order to avoid a potential chemical reaction
Get your own AYC Natural Mat Wash via our Online Shop or follow these simple instructions to create your own!
DIY MAT WASH
Caring for your mat keeps it smelling it's best and can help it last longer. You can make your own natural mat cleaning solution by combining a few simple ingredients.
- Filtered Water
- Witch Hazel
- 100% Pure Essential Oil with AntiMicrobial Properties
- Refillable Glass Spray Bottle
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to creating your own natural mat cleaner, but the following guidelines help -- First, check with your manufacturer to make sure all the ingredients can be used safely on your yoga mat. Second, use a 3:1 ratio of Filtered Water to Witch Hazel. Use essential oils known for their antimicrobial properties (we've provided a list of some below). When purchasing an essential oil, make sure it's 100% pure with no additives. Finally, use a single essential oil or create your own personalized scent combination!
A Classic MIX
Here's a classic DIY recipe to get you started:
In a refillable 2oz glass spray bottle, add 3/4 filtered water and 1/4 Witch Hazel to slightly below the bottle neck. Add two drops of 100% Pure Tea Tree or Eucalyptus Oil and one drop of 100% Pure Lavender Oil. Cover and shake to combine the ingredients. Adjust essential oil ratios as desired. Spray both the sides of your mat and wipe dry.
Essential Oils WITH ANTIMICROBIAL PROPERTIES
- Tea Tree
- Lemon or Lemongrass